News

Overseas clubs chasing Bekker

 Jan 08,2013
Written by: SARugby.com Editor
 

Stormers and Springboks lock Andries Bekker is being courted by several overseas clubs according to media reports.

The 29-year-old will be able to pick and choose where he wants to further his career when his contract with Western Province expires at the end of 2013.

Bekker's agent, Hilton Houghton, said although signing a contract extension with WP was not out of the question, clubs in the Northern Hemisphere were clamouring for the player's signature.

"There will obviously be lots of interest in a player of Andries' quality, but he currently has other priorities," Houghton told Die Burger's website.

Clubs from France, Ireland and England are reportedly trying to obtain Bekker's services.

Bekker's biggest current priority, however, is to make a return to action after he missed the Springboks' end-of-year tour to Europe last year due to an injury to his right big toe.

Meanwhile, the Stormers resumed their pre-season preparations for the upcoming Super Rugby tournament.

Flank Schalk Burger is set to return after missing the entire 2012 season due to a knee injury. More clarity regarding the injuries of wing Bryan Habana (knee), scrum-half Dewaldt Duvenage (leg), utility forward Rynhardt Elstadt (breastbone), centre Marcel Brache and hooker Tiaan Liebenberg (both neck injuries) will be known later this week week.

The Stormers kick off their Super Rugby campaign away to the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld on Friday, February 22.

They are are likely to play two warm-up games against the Cheetahs and Boland, with the dates yet to be confirmed.

 

 

Tags: Super Rugby |  Stormers | 
 
 
 
 

From The Sideline