Quiz for 2012
So you think that you know South African rugby? Well this quiz is about to prove you wrong.
There's a mixed bag of golden oldies, general knowledge and a few pickings from 2012... so kick back with SA Rugby's brain teaser and see how many you can get!
1. In which year was the International Rugby Board founded?
A) 1886; B) 1922; C) 1976; D) 1987
2. In which year did Paul Roos name South Africa 'De Springbokken'?
A) 1892; B) 1906; C) 1940; D) 1971
3. Which team has won the Currie Cup more than any other?
4. Who is the Springboks' all time leading points scorer?
5. Who scored the first try for South Africa this year?
6. Which of the following teams have won the Currie Cup?
A) Eastern Province; B) The Pumas; C) The Griffons; D) Border Bulldgos
7. Who is the most capped Currie Cup player of all time?
8. Who captained South Africa at the 1999 Rugby World Cup?
9. Which two Springboks have won the IRB Player of The Year award?
10. Where will the 2019 IRB Rugby World Cup be held?
11. In which year did rugby turn professional?
12. At which position were SA ranked on the IRB standings at the start of the year?
13. And where are they now?
14. Name an African country - besides SA, Namibia and Zimbabwe - that have competed in a RWC?
15. Who was South Africa’s first coach?
16. Only two coaches in SA history have a 100% winning ratio. Who are they?
17. Who was the first player of colour to represent the Springboks?
18. Top try-scorer in Super Rugby 2012?
19. How many times did Naas Botha play for the Springboks in Tests?
A) 28; B) 17; C) 33; D) 41
20. Which team won the first Currie Cup Final to be played?
21. Which South African team was the first to win a Super Rugby trophy of any kind?
22. Which player scored the quickest try in Super Rugby?
23. Which player has scored the most points in a single Super Rugby season?
24. Which South African has played the most consecutive Super Rugby matches?
25. Which player scored four tries against Ireland in 2004?
26. Who was the first Bok to get a red card in a Test match?
27. Which Wallabies player put in a try-saving tackle on Jeff Wilson in the 1996 Bledisloe Cup?
28. Who played number eight for the Springboks in the 1995 RWC final?
29. Who scored the winning try for SA against the Wallabies in 1998 to help them to their first Tri-Nations trophy?
30. How many games did the Stormers lose in the regular 2012 Super Rugby season?
(Answers: 1. A; 2. B; 3. Western Province; 4. Percy Montgomery; 5. Morne Steyn (against England in Durban); 6. D; 7. Helgard Muller; 8. A: Joost van der Westhuizen; 9 Schalk Burger & Bryan Habana; 10. Japan; 11. 1995; 12. 4th; 13. 2nd; 14. Ivory Coast; 15. Danie Craven; 16. Felix du Plessis & Kitch Christie; 17. Errol Tobias; 18 Andre Taylor & Bjorn Basson (both 10); 19. A; 20. Transvaal; 21. The Bulls; 22 Bryan Habana (8 seconds - against the Cheetahs); 23. Morne Steyn (Bulls); 24. Pedrie Wannenberg (99); 25 Stefan Terblanche; 26. James Small (against Australia in 1993); 27. A: George Gregan; 28. Mark Andrews; 29. Bobby Skinstad; 30. Two)