Lets look at the Team for the Welsh tests
July 03, 2014, 09:25:47
The team who played in the two tests against the Welsh are according to Mozart the ideal team of the Springboks:-
15 Willie le Roux
14 Conrad Hendricks
13 JP Pietersen *
12 Jan Serfontein *
11 Bryan Habana
10 Morne Steyn
9 Fourie du Preez
8 Duane Vermeulen
7 Willem Alberts
6 Francois Louw
5 Victor Matfield
4 Bakkies Botha/Flip van der Merwe
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plesis
1 Gurthro Steenkamp/Tendai Mtawarire
* JP should play on the wing and Serontein should eb on the ebnch.
One would assume that the situation would be improved upon with the return of Jean de Villiers and Even Etzebeth.
The highlighted players are those that should not be anywhere near the Springbok team - they in fact contribute very little to the Springbok performances and replacement will result in improvement of the team,
* Other than kicking at goal - Steyn was invisible in the first test and poor in the second one - statistics also ebar that one out.
* Willem Alberts did near to zero positive in both tests and his famous ball carries did not produce abnthing good for the Springboks - a low work rate player
* Bakkies Botha played in teh first test and went off the field diue to an injury niggle - he was replaced by Lood de Jager - who had a really top game showing why Bakkies is not the player he used to be in the past.
* Flip van der Merwe was as becoming normal with him from a disciplinary point of view a disaster
* Bakkies botha is physically not able to contribute to tight 5 play and his role is confined to line outs - nothing much more. He is poor in ball carrying in trafficand he contributes xero to driving mauls.
If we are to be successful in the RC and in the WC next year it would be at the minimum necessary to -
* to make one positional change - Pieterse back to the wing;
* find a permanent solution to the outside center position - Pieterse is not the answer
* bring back De Villiers at 13 - putting the adequate Jan Serfontein on the bench;
* replace Morne Steyn at 10 - especially since he was poor in the 2nd test following after showing very little in the first test;
* bring in a player like Burger at 7 - we cannot have a very limited low work rate player in the back row;
* forget about Bakkies Botha - in the games he played for thus fat over the past ten months he showed zero of the player he used to be - replacing him with Lood de Jager.
* replace Matfield with Eben Etzebeth
None of the above changes would be a train smash. The 13 position may be a rookie selection . but it is better to start with that this year and not next year - if a rookie he would have 20 tests under his belt when the WC comes up.. All of Lambie. Pollard and Goosen are better all round flyhalfs than Morne Steyn. If Burger is injured or cannot cover the 7 position - select a likely rookie for the job. Lood de Jager is inexperienced - but if h plays regularly this year and next year by the time of the WC he would have around 20 tests under his belt already. Etzebeth is already an experienced player.
The key issue is that all players should be selected with due regard to both experience and performance - reputation selection is not of any value. With the above in mind there is not a major train smash n too many inexperinced players in the team.