RE: Move JJ to wing against Scotland
November 12, 2013, 07:25:43
I am with Mozart in this case - move JJ to he wing and leave Fourie at 13. My reasons for that is completely different form Mozart thinking on the issue though.
I think that both Pietersen and Fourie was desperately poor on Saturday. Meyer is now in serious trouble - the same trouble he was in last year - when he selected Steenkamp at prop and De Jongh as an option to play at outside center. He has limited options for Sunday against the Scots and those are the following:-
* He cannot play the two Japanese club players at 13 and 14 - together they are a really poor option - separately they may just make it against weak opposition. So either one of the two must be left out.
* In his last two tests the robotic Morne Steyn in fact was ridiculously poor and he is unlikely to play on Saturday - so a solution has to be found.
* Since Goosen has had very limited match time over the past eight months - his only option is to move Lambie to 10. Let me add here that the Morne groupies have shouted and screamed how poor Lambie was on Saturday - but other than two drop kicks he missed - they could not find any real foundation to criticize him. As a last resort Mozart invented a lie about two cross kicks launched by Lambie in the Springbok half of the field - the cross kicks did take place, but was in the Welsh half.
* That leaves Meyer with two problem positions - namely at full back and the number 14 wing.
* He could play Aplon at full back - but when Aplon was previously selected to represent SA - he was not up to standard. Was good on CC level - but his defence on Super 15 level was poor - so there is no real future in that one.
* So where to now - the other full back candidate is Kirchner - but I think after the Ellis Park fiasco Kirchner seems to be out of favour.
* The most likely option is Le Roux - whose perfect performance on Saturday at full back was admirable.
* That leaves us with the 14 wing selection. I think Pietersen was so slow and out of form that he is not an option. So where to now. The only way open is to move Engelbrecht to wing - since Le Roux will not be available.
* Retain Fourie at 13 - since the serious question marks about his performance on Saturday could perhaps be addressed. I think he will fail again - but it will be better to fail against the Scots than against the French.
So the backline will probably be the following:-
15 le Roux, 14 Engelbrecht, 13 Fourie, 12 De Viliers, 11 Habana, 10 Lambie, 9 Pienaar
The backline bench should be 21 Goosen, 22 Serfontein 23 Pietersen.