Arthur claims famages from Cricket Australia
July 17, 2013, 16:50:48
Arthur's lawyers submit a claim for damages to the tune of $4 000 000 and from the documents submitted the following appears in the Brisbane Times:-
"Sacked Australian cricket coach Mickey Arthur says it wasn't his intention for sensitive information, including details of a feud between Michael Clarke and Shane Watson, to be made public.
Arthur is taking Cricket Australia to court as he seeks up to $4 million compensation, and said he was "extremely upset and disappointed" that documents hadn't been kept confidential.
Talk of tensions between captain Clarke and former vice-captain Watson is nothing new.
But Arthur was particularly explicit in his documents, alleging that Clarke had described Watson and his faction as a cancer on the team.
He also claimed it was Watson who informed him of David Warner's nightclub incident in Birmingham.
Arthur last week filed proceedings on a number of grounds in the Fair Work Commission (FWC) of Sydney, "for being sacked and scapegoated" - said a statement released on his behalf.
Part of the South African-born Arthur's explosive claims centre around racial discrimination.
A confidential conciliation between the parties has been scheduled for next week.
Arthur, who was punted two weeks before the start of the Ashes, claims he wanted things kept quiet, particularly given Australia are just over 24 hours out from their must-win second Test at Lord's.
"I am extremely upset and disappointed that confidential documents appear to have been given by others to the media," Arthur said in a statement.
"The matters raised in my application to the FWC concerning issues within the Australian cricket team are very sensitive, which is why I was at pains to keep them confidential, especially at this time.
"I have kept them confidential, unfortunately others have now made them public. I want to stress how important to me the members of the team were, and still remain to me. The welfare of the Australian cricket team is upmost to me."
Arthur was praised at the time of his sacking for the dignity in which he handled his sudden departure.
But Australian cricket figures are mystified and disappointed that Arthur has now chosen this path.
The general feeling is that the matter will be settled out of court, but that Arthur's reputation could now suffer as a result of airing the dirty laundry days out from an Ashes Test.
"It sounds like sour grapes to me and it's pretty disappointing," Test great Shane Warne told Sky Sports News.
"He should have been grateful for the opportunity to coach the Australian team.
"It's disappointing that he wants money like that, especially at this time. Go behind closed doors and do that if that's your gripe - and I think it is unfair to want that off Cricket Australia.
"I don't think it's up to him to want $4 million. I think that's out of order."