The Northern Hemisphere Selections
November 18, 2012, 08:00:21
Meyer made a huge noise abiut how he was going to select Northern Hemisphere players and he picked the following players for the relevant purpose:-
Louw. Pienaar, Steenkamp, Van der Merwe and Brits.
Now lets look at their performances and see how successful he was in that case:-
* Louw was a real success story - so much so that he was MOM yesterday. Really top class - that one. However, we must remember that he is relly a regular MOM for his team Bath and is regarded by them as tops. So that was not a surprise either.
* Pienaar was in the main also successful. However, there is a wory - when Pienaar plays for Ulster - he plays an entirely different game than he does for the Springboks. He is justifiably so - very highly regarded by Ulster and was a key to their progress in the Heineken Cup last year. Why is he playing a different game now?
* Steenkamp is at present the bench playing prop for Toulouse. He wa spicked by Meyer - bit only in the starting line up for the first time in the test yesterday.He was firm in the first three scrums and then his scrummaging disintgrated. He carries too much lard aad is patently unfit. In the game yesterday he was a serious flop Bad selection - especially if Meyer took the trouble of checking with his club about performances. What was the reason for this selection?
* Van der Merwe - was brought in last of the others and played off the bench in both the Irish and the Scottish tests. In the irish test after he came on - he really showed some power in scrummaging in two scrums. Afterwards he showed nothing and was even penalized once. On the whole I would say a 50:50 selection. Better than Steenkamp - but not an international level player.
* Brits - came on for 10 minutes yesterdayand did nothing worth reporting on.
Two of the above five are props. It seems as if Meyer has endless problems in prop selection.- after all since he became coach - this is one area where he made crazy selections as bench players. He startedof with Kruger and Greyling - both shockingly poor and then he progressed to Cilliers - very moderate indeed. Lately his picks were Steenkamp, Van er Linde and Van der Merwe. Basically all three are failures to various degrees. Steenkamp is patently oiverpweight and unfit - really bad news. Vn der Linde is a disgrace and Van der Merwe moderate to mediocre.
I can understand why Louw and Pinaar were picked and were really successful - but what caused the selection of the other four NH players? Some explanation please.